Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator
Rebuilding Together Peninsula (RTP) seeks a creative, solution-oriented individual to spearhead our homeowner outreach and volunteer programs.
RTP believes a healthy community starts with a safe and livable home. We provide free health and safety-related home repairs to those in need. We ensure individual health, wellbeing and dignity for home owners and individuals from community-based facilities, preserve affordable home ownership, and enhance local pride. In addition, by bringing volunteers and community residents together, RTP harnesses the power of volunteerism to revitalize local neighborhoods.
We provide minor home repair year-round and participate in an annual tradition, National Rebuilding Day, which brings nearly 2,000 volunteers together to repair homes and community-based organizations throughout San Mateo and northern Santa Clara counties. Rebuilding Together Peninsula is one of the largest of the over 130 affiliates of Rebuilding Together Inc. RTP has an operating budget of $2 million and additionally benefits from nearly $1 million worth of donated resources and volunteer time annually.
Coordinate and support volunteers for repair projects as part of our National Rebuilding Day (NRD) and Team Build programs, develop a year-round volunteer program to support our year-round repair program, and spearhead RTP’s outreach strategy.
This is a full-time, exempt position based in Redwood City, and reports to the Associate Director.
Volunteer Coordination (60%)
- Under the direction of the NRD & Team Build Program Manager, help solicit, orient and support volunteers to complete National Rebuilding Day and Team Build projects.
- Under the direction of the NRD & Team Build Program Manager, coordinate volunteer logistics for Team Build projects (e.g., lunches, snacks, set up/tear down, taking photos, etc.).
- Under the direction of the Construction Program Director, design and coordinate a volunteer program for our year-round minor home repair program (develop internal protocols and tools, develop volunteer outreach strategy, conduct and/or oversee follow up on volunteer inquiries, etc.,).
- Maintain documentation on and conduct follow-up with volunteers.
- Coordinate and oversee volunteer recognition, acknowledgments, and an annual volunteer appreciation event.
- Cultivate new partnerships as appropriate to attract new volunteers.
Outreach Strategy & Engagement (35%)
- Design, communicate, document and drive outreach strategy and coordinate with other staff and volunteers.
- Conduct presentations at community organizations and corporations, and conduct door-to-door solicitation with homeowners--primarily seniors, individuals with disabilities, multi-generational families.
- Identify appropriate organizations and contacts for networking and outreach.
- Attend outreach events (fairs, community events, etc.).
- Identify and cultivate new community partnerships and potential sponsors as appropriate.
- Create and maintain relationships with potential referral organizations and service providers (e.g., other non-profit partners, city and county housing departments, etc.).
- Track contacts and leads in database.
Other projects as assigned (5%)
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Passion for RTP’s mission and values
- Strong interpersonal skills with a particular talent for developing trust and building effective relationships
- Minimum five years related work experience
- College degree or commensurate experience
- Experience in public speaking
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) strongly preferred, other languages a plus
- Skill in articulating the needs of marginalized communities for a variety of stakeholders
- Self-reflective, empathetic team player
- Demonstrated interest in personal and professional growth
- Prior experience working with volunteers and low-income communities a plus
- Impeccable organizational skills, attention to detail and follow-through
- Ability to perform duties with minimum of supervision
- Ability to be flexible, adaptable and maintain professional decorum under stress
- Ability to work effectively in a multicultural environment
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, team orientated, small office environment and desire to work with volunteers who provide and need varying levels of support
- Knowledge of San Mateo County and northern Santa Clara County (Palo Alto, Los Altos, Mountain View, & Sunnyvale) a plus
- Effectively utilize information technology, social media, and basic office software including Google Apps and MS Office.Familiarity with standard office equipment and Salesforce databases a plus.
In addition, candidates will need:
- Ability to lift or pull 25 lbs.
- Ability to work occasional nights and weekends, as needed. We offer flexibility to accommodate these obligations
- Your own car, insurance, and valid CA driver’s license, or other means to travel throughout the Peninsula
- Successful background check and fingerprinting
RTP offers a competitive compensation package including health, dental and vision insurance at no cost to all regular full-time employees. We also offer retirement plan benefits to eligible employees. In addition to standard sick leave and vacation accrual, RTP recognizes 13 paid holidays and closes the office between Christmas & New Year’s Day. Salary range: $52,000-$56,000 DOE.
Rebuilding Together Peninsula provides equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, gender, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, political belief or activity or status as a veteran.
How to Apply:
Confidential Application Process: Email your cover letter (Word or PDF document) summarizing your interest, fit with qualifications, compensation requirements and experience along with a current resume to: Ms. Melissa Lukin, Executive Director, Rebuilding Together Peninsula at email@example.com. Please note "Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator" in the subject field. Resumes must have a cover letter in order to be considered. For more information about the organization, visit http://www.RTPeninsula.org. No phone calls, please.