Rebuilding Together Peninsula (RTP) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that seeks a solution-oriented Repair Technician with the necessary construction skills to support our repair programs. Each year, we provide repairs for approximately 200 low-income homeowners and for community facilities from Sunnyvale to Daly City and out to the coast. Our mission is repairing homes, revitalizing communities, rebuilding lives. As an organization, we value respect, compassion, teamwork, community, collaboration, service, and safety.
The Repair Technician is the lead person responsible for completion of repairs for our clients. This position involves working with a variety of populations including seniors, individuals with disabilities, multi-generational families, volunteers, vendors, sponsors, and donors.
This is a full-time, exempt position based in Redwood City, and reports to the Construction Program Director.
Field Work and Project Management (75%)
- Conduct site assessments, planning, debris removal, and related procurement of supplies and labor to complete required repairs on assigned projects
- Provide excellent customer service
- Work with AmeriCorps members, volunteers and/or vendors to complete specific projects
- Encourage safety for everyone on site, including providing the proper training, tools and materials
- Ensure compliance with the EPA’s Renovation, Repair and Painting Rule, OSHA, RTP’s Injury Illness & Prevention Policy (IIPP), and other safety policies and procedures.
Volunteer/Client Management (15%)
- Follow-up with homeowners and volunteers to ensure effective project communication between volunteers, clients, and vendors
- Ensure work provided by volunteers is safe, meaningful, hands-on, simple and efficient
- Support volunteers by providing a clear scope of work, managing client expectations, and ensuring they have the tools, materials, and information they need to complete their project
- Serve as a resource to troubleshoot and aid volunteers in planning scopes of work and technically challenging installations
- Participation in 3-5 volunteer recruitment, engagement and appreciation events per year
Agency Support (10%)
- Assist the Construction Program Director to establish, monitor and achieve Program goals
- Provide regular updates on program-related activities
- Occasionally work with Development and Program staff to prepare information for grant requests and grant reports, specifically government CDBG requests, including scopes of work, completed work, project profiles and final receipts
- Other projects as assigned
The ideal candidate will possess many of the following skills and experience:
- At least 5 years verifiable construction or handyman experience/familiarity with construction industry
- Demonstrable construction skills, including basic carpentry, plumbing, electrical, and finish work
- Understanding and commitment to RTP’s mission and values in service to low-income homeowners and communities
- Strong customer service mindset and ability to build relationships with people of diverse backgrounds, including some in very challenging and vulnerable situations.
- Organizational and project management skills, including significant attention to detail and follow-through, including tracking all related receipts, mileage, and hours worked
- Ability to work on multiple tasks, while being flexible and adaptable
- Ability to work independently and take initiative; dependable with a strong work ethic
- Excellent problem solver who knows when to ask for help
- Effective oral and written communication skills, even under pressure (humor, a plus)
- Experience working in a team-oriented environment
- Ability to effectively represent RTP and its programs and clients well among diverse stakeholders in the community (including donors, volunteers, government officials, etc.)
- Reliable transportation, including valid California drivers license and proof of insurance
- Ability to perform physically demanding tasks, including lifting up to 70 pounds without assistance
- Pass a background check and fingerprinting
- Fluent in English (read, write, and speak)
Though not required, the following skills and experience would be helpful:
- Conversational Spanish ability
- Knowledge of Peninsula communities
- RRP and/or OSHA training
- Contractor’s License and/or familiarity with local building codes, Contractors State License Board, etc.
- Computer proficiency – particularly use of Google applications (Calendar, Gmail, etc.), as well as comfort with smartphones and online / smartphone apps.
How To Apply
Deadline for applications: Accepted until a qualified candidate is hired.
Estimated start date: As soon as position can be filled.
Anticipated starting salary is between $60,000-$70,000. RTP offers a competitive compensation package that includes health, dental and vision insurance at no cost to all regular full-time employees.. RTP offers retirement plan benefits to eligible employees. In addition to standard sick leave and vacation accrual, RTP recognizes 13 paid holidays as well as an office shutdown for all business days between Christmas & New year’s Day. RTP provides equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, gender, age, disability, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, ancestry, political belief or activity or status as a veteran.
How to Apply:
This is a confidential application process - Email your cover letter (Word or PDF document) summarizing your interest, fit with the qualifications, compensation requirements and experience along with a current resume to: Ms. Cari Pang Chen, Associate Director of Rebuilding Together Peninsula at email@example.com. Please note "Repair Technician" in the subject field. Resumes must have a cover letter in order to be considered. For more information about the organization, visit http://www.RTPeninsula.org. No phone calls, please.