National Rebuilding Day Program Manager
Rebuilding Together Peninsula (RTP) seeks a solution-oriented manager with a passion for social justice, administrative and project management experience, and strong interpersonal skills to join our team. Now in its 30th year, RTP provides year-round, free critical home repair, accessibility modifications and energy efficient upgrades to homeowners in need and local nonprofit agencies. We believe a healthy community starts with a safe and livable home.
We also harness the power of volunteerism by bringing nearly 2000 volunteers and local community members together on or around National Rebuilding Day (NRD) – the last Saturday in April - to repair approximately fifty homes and community-based organizations throughout San Mateo and northern Santa Clara counties.
Rebuilding Together Peninsula, one of the largest of the 130 affiliates of Rebuilding Together Inc., a national nonprofit, has an operating budget of $2 million and receives nearly $1 million worth of donated materials and volunteer time annually. Our efforts to preserve affordable home ownership, stabilize and revitalize local neighborhoods and enhance local pride and individual dignity are supported through partnerships and collaborations with government agencies, private businesses, skilled craftspeople, civic organizations, churches and community volunteers. visit www.RTPeninsula.org.
The Program Manager is responsible for the overall planning, management and coordination of roughly 50 concurrent projects led and implemented by volunteers on National Rebuilding Day (NRD) and several similar repair projects at other times of the year.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate should be comfortable working in a team-based environment, be highly organized and able to work well with a wide variety of individuals. He/she should be an effective problem-solver, able to anticipate and manage the needs of traditionally marginalized populations including the elderly and disabled, as well as the interests of our volunteers and sponsors. Some construction experience a plus.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- 3 years of program and/or volunteer management experience
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate educational experience
- Proven organizational and project management skills; excellent attention to detail
- Ability to engage staff, AmeriCorps and volunteers and vendors
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Ability to be gracious under pressure and assist homeowners, volunteers, and staff in working together through high-anxiety situations
- Ability to establish rapport, build relationships, and gain confidence and credibility with a diverse range of individuals from various ethnic, socio-economic backgrounds
- Ability to respond effectively to the needs of volunteers needing varying levels of support.
- Basic understanding of and experience in construction (especially carpentry, plumbing, electrical and roofing), or willingness to learn.
- Solid communication skills including written updates, meeting facilitation, and conflict resolution.
- Strong customer service mindset
- Familiarity with information technology, social media, and basic office software including Google Apps and MS Office. Familiarity with Salesforce databases a plus!
- Ability to effectively represent Rebuilding Together Peninsula among diverse stakeholders.
- Ability to perform duties with minimum of supervision
- Ability to deal with physically demanding requirements of the job including lifting a minimum of 30 pounds without assistance.
- Work occasional nights and weekends throughout the year, particularly in preparation for National Rebuilding Day (February-April) and Team Build projects.
- Valid CA driver’s license and road-worthy vehicle with proof of insurance.
- Pass a background check and fingerprinting.
- RRP or OSHA training.
- Familiarity with building codes, including working with local Planning & Building permit processes.
- Bilingual in English & Spanish, other languages a plus.
- Knowledge of San Mateo County and other local service areas
- Basic budget management and accounting skills – both accounts payable and accounts receivable.
How To Apply
Deadline for applications: Until appropriate applicant is hired
Estimated Start date: ASAP
Compensation: Anticipated starting salary is $60,000-$64,000 including generous compensation package including health, dental and vision insurance. RTP offers retirement plan benefits to eligible employees. In addition to standard sick leave and vacation accrual, RTP recognizes 13 paid holidays and is closed between Christmas & New Year’s.Rebuilding Together Peninsula provides equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, gender, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, political belief or activity or status as a veteran.
Confidential Application Process: Email cover letter (Word or PDF document) and resume to: Ms. Melissa Lukin, Executive Director at Jobs@RTPeninsula.org. Please note “Program Manager Application” in the subject field. Resumes must have a cover letter in order to be considered. For information visit www.RTPeninsula.org.
Program Manager Job Responsibilities
Program Management (30%)
- Responsible for the overall coordination and success of National Rebuilding Day and Team Build projects
- Manage project site selection and application review.
- Ensure completion of all NRD and Team Build projects
- Assist Construction Program Director with day-to-day warehouse organization and planning.
- Oversee documentation and tracking in files, database and online systems.
- Monitor and execute on annual program goals and help evaluate program impact and effectiveness.
- Work with Associate Director to establish, implement, and monitor program goals.
- Work with Development staff to prepare information for grant requests and grant reports
Project Management (30%)
- Conduct home assessments and coordinate with program staff to maintain and update client information and documentation.
- Complete and submit required pre-project reports for publicly funded projects.
- Establish expectations and encourage on-site and warehouse safety for volunteers, staff, and clients, including proper training, tools, and other resources.
- Coordinate with Construction Program Director (CPD) for all building, encroachment, and other permit processes needed to complete repairs, including obtaining fee waivers.
- Nurture relationships with vendors for donations, discounts, and purchase of materials and labor to complete renovation projects.
- Work with development staff to manage in-kind donation tracking and acknowledgements.
- Plan and prepare a reasonable scope of work for Team Build projects.
- Prepare for, participate in, and co-lead Team Build projects.
- Coordinate post-project follow-up with homeowners and community centers – obtaining client surveys, testimonials, “after” photos and referrals for future clients.
Volunteer/Sponsor/Client Management (25%)
- Supervise AmeriCorps | NRD & Team Build Client Services Coordinator to provide outreach, application, reporting, evaluation, and other general support.
- Recruit, assign and manage expectations and responsibilities of volunteers, clients, vendors, sponsors and Construction and Volunteer Captains.
- Recruit and manage approximately 100 volunteer project leaders, vendors and other staff to ensure: (1) projects are on track; (2) they have the necessary information, materials, supplies, and labor to complete projects; and (3) the necessary documentation.
- Engage volunteers, vendors, and in-kind donors in a productive and positive manner to support all projects, including planning and implementing trainings as appropriate.
- Lead homeowner orientations and relationship building; help manage homeowner expectations.
- Serve as a resource to troubleshoot and aid volunteers in planning scopes of work and technically challenging installations, and be available for site visits.
- Support outreach and recruitment of potential applicants as needed.
- Celebrate the work of volunteers and sponsors.
- Work with AD to establish, implement, and monitor annual Program goals.
- Assist in planning and attend annual Program Planning Retreat.
- Provide AD with regular updates of program activities.
- Help evaluate program impact and effectiveness.
- Collaborate and share ideas with other RT affiliates, service providers, etc.
Public Relations, Outreach and Development (5%)
- Support outreach to partner organizations and community-at-large to secure client and facility applications.
- Support the organization and increase community awareness of RTP through presentations and meetings with current and potential referral organizations, suppliers, skilled labor, sponsors, donors, community organizations, city departments and City Councils.
- Help foster support from city staff and Council members in all cities in our geographic territory.
- Assist in development of stories for public relations avenues.
- Write periodic articles for newsletter and annual report.
- Provide client and volunteer-based social media content as needed.
- Participate in Dreams Happen (biennial children's playhouse auction) and any other special volunteer, donor, or fundraising events.
Other projects as assigned (5%)